Pine Island is proud to have developed a complete community vision in the form of the Pine Island Comprehensive Plan. The Pine Island Planning & Zoning Commission coordinated this effort, which culminated in the adoption of this 215-page update on October 19, 2010. The plan is scheduled to be updated again in 10 years.
The plan is a set of goals, policies and objectives that was formulated with public input from residents, businesses, the Pine Island City Council, the Planning & Zoning Commission, MnDOT District 6-Rochester, and neighboring townships and counties. The policies, goals, and objectives of the plan are essential to help city leaders craft a more effective zoning code.
The Comprehensive Plan:
- Includes a summary of the city’s demographic profile
- Analyzes the past, current and future housing stock
- Projects future housing and population trends
- Identifies natural resources and goals for preserving natural amenities
- Inventories current land uses and projects future land uses with the identification of where appropriate land uses should be located
- Reviews the current transportation system and includes a future transportation plan and policies
- Inventories current park land and recreational amenities and includes recommendation for future park and recreational facilities
- Summarizes the wastewater and water infrastructure with the identification of future needs
- Addresses historic preservation as it relates to the community